Ve is thrilled to launch her Master Class Series and wants to provide the opportunity to participate to as many artists as possible. Therefore, she and our kind sponsors are pleased to team up to provide scholarship opportunities and contests to a handful of lucky and hardworking applicants. Below you will find the scholarships and contests being offered for the Los Angeles ‘Fundamentals of Beauty, Corrective, and Character Creation’ Master Class in Los Angeles June 18-19, 2016
THE SENNA COSMETICS BEAUTY, ILLUSION, AND TRANSFORMATION SCHOLARSHIP
Ve Neill and Eugenia Weston are proud to announce the Senna Cosmetics Beauty, Illusion, Transformation Scholarship to be awarded to 1 student for the full tuition cost ($1,600*) to attend Ve’s Los Angeles master class ONLY on June 18-19, 2016.
Ve and Eugenia never received a professional makeup education as beginning film and television makeup artists, because that training simply didn’t exist when they began their careers. They understand how hard it can be for makeup artists to gain access to professional makeup education opportunities like the Ve Neill Master Class Series. That’s why Ve and Eugenia are offering one lucky applicant this emerging makeup artist scholarship as a “last minute” scholarship to a student who would not otherwise be able to attend the class
In 1976 Emmy nominated artist Eugenia Weston founded SENNA cosmetics. Eugenia felt that makeup had the power to elicit harmony, allure, and excitement and that the real essence of cosmetics is ‘Beauty, Illusion, Transformation’. To represent this theatrical feeling Eugenia chose a character with a harlequin motif to represent her company and named this makeup muse ‘SENNA’. Go to http://www.sennacosmetics.com/about-senna to learn more about this fabulous company.
Beauty makeup for film and television is about more than just making some one look beautiful. Every actor in a film or television show is playing a character and must look appropriate. A character makeup can be FX based or beauty based and can be anything from a school teacher to the nemesis of a super hero.
For this competition applicants will create a beauty based character makeup inspired by Pierrot. Pierrot was an iconic character from 19th century Commedia dell’arte theater. Known for expressing complex emotions through makeup, Pierrot is characterized by a stark white foundation that blocked out the eye brows, exaggerated black brows drawn over the natural brow and the use of shapes such as a heart, a diamond, a triangle or a tear drop to express emotion.
WHO CAN APPLY: Anyone able to attend the Los Angeles class for BOTH days June 18-19 (transportation, accommodation and all other costs and requirements are the responsibility of the scholarship winner). Currently enrolled students and winners of other scholarships are not allowed to apply.
AWARD: Cost of full tuition to attend the class ($1,600*). If selected winner is unable to attend, the scholarship is forfeited, and will be awarded to another applicant determined to be eligible solely by Ve Neill. The winner’s photos will also be posted on Ve Neill’s and Senna Cosmetics’ Instagram pages!
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 6:00pm (PDT) Tuesday, June 14th. Winner will be announced on the veneillmasterclass.com News page on Wednesday, June 15th.
HOW TO APPLY: You will be required to submit 2 photos (1 head-on, 1 profile) of your makeup application of the Pierrot Commedia dell’arte character as well as your written response to the question below. Absolutely No Photoshop. All submissions must be sent to email@example.com with the subject line 'THE SENNA COSMETICS BEAUTY, ILLUSION AND TRANSFORMATION SCHOLARSHIP'
Applicant entries will be judged based on the photos of applicant’s makeup submission as well as their answer to the scholarship question.
Applicants must complete the following requirements:
· WRITTEN RESPONSE: How will this scholarship help you transform yourself to become the creative artist you long to be?” Written answer must be submitted as a Word document, limit 200 words.
· Your makeup application MUST: use a white/pale foundation that covers up the natural eyebrows, and replaces them with stylized eyebrows.
· Your makeup application MUST: incorporate at least one of the following “traditional” Commedia dell’ art makeup shapes: a heart, a diamond, a triangle, or a tear
· Your makeup design and application MUST: be based on ONLY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING EMOTIONAL EXPRESSIONS: joy, sadness, or confusion.
A NOTE FOR APPLICANTS: Pierrot is not a dark, monstrous, or evil character. You must stick to a beauty character makeup, or your application will be rejected. But within these character dimensions, use all your creativity to design your Pierrot character so that it shines!
THE VE NEILL EXPERIENCE CONTEST
WHO CAN APPLY: All students who have completed registration for the Los Angeles Course.
PRIZE: 1-on-1 sessions with Ve Neill; Career Advice, Portfolio Review plus a professional makeup case (valued at: $300*)
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 11:59pm (PDT) June 15th
HOW TO APPLY:
- Contestants must create a full character makeup based on your favorite Ve Neill character. Absolutely no photoshop. Use of prosthetics not required.
- Submit two photos of your completed makeup: one head-on view and one profile view.
- Compose a brief cover letter telling Ve a little about yourself, what you hope to gain from taking The Fundamentals of Corrective, Beauty, and Character Creation course, and where you hope to go in your career.
- Submit all photos and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line THE VE NEILL EXPERIENCE.
- The winner will be announced by Ve Neill at the end of class on day one.
THE VE NEILL SCHOLARSHIP
WHO CAN APPLY: U.S. and Abroad (Those who have already registered may still apply)
PRIZE: A partial scholarship valued at $800*
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 11:59pm (PDT) June 6th
HOW TO APPLY:
- Contestants must Follow @VEMASTERCLASS on Instagram
- Contestants must create a full character makeup inspired by one of the following three makeup looks done by Ve Neill on Johnny Depp; Sweeney Todd, Edward Scissorhands or Jack Sparrow. Absolutely no photoshop. Use of prosthetics not required.
- Submit a photo of your completed makeup to Instagram using #VNMCScholarship
- The winner will be hand picked by Ve Neill and Glenn Hetrick
*All scholarship and contest prizes are non transferable, of no monetary value, and are not subject to change.